Wednesday, February 27, 2013

DC: And Still Thinking About

I couldn't stop writing. I wrote for days. I wrote when I got home from work late into the night in my hotel. Words swirled in my head during meetings.  They were crowding into that space in my brain that hadn't been nurtured for a long time.

So, now the article on change in Serbia -- which I wrote after a five-year hiatus from visiting -- has been polished off. It's been sent to the Huffington Post. My fingers are crossed and we'll see.

I wrote about how things had changed.  The vibrancy of the city. The l'air du temps after lifting so much oppression and political malice. The spirit in the air. The streets and cafes. The art and the design.

Belgrade is a city that is part of me, you see.  The better part of 5 years spent focused on Balkan politics, the ills of the Milosevic regime and the fight for democracy.